Thursday, November 14, 2013

Make & Listen Along

~ On Thursdays I will post what I have been making and listening to as creations grow. 
If so inclined post, on your blog or flickr, about what you have been making (on your own or with little hands by your side) and listening to while you create. It can be new music, flash backs, a song or a whole album... whatever you like. You can be stitching with needle & thread, yarn, paper crafting, painting, cooking... and beyond. Share what you are making and the tunes that are fueling your creativity. Then come back to my Thursday Make & Listen Along post and leave a link in the comments so we can be inspired right along with you! ~

There has been a variety of making going on around here ranging from Lego, to crystal growing, leaf prints, a new knitting project and many more little things in the works!

While still in Nova Scotia we got a few of these "Pop corn rox" to grow crystals. They were rediscovered while going through our nature things the other day so we decided to try it out! I will share more about this little project soon. So easy & fun!



One of the participants in the nature exchange asked if we would like to do a nature art exchange. I was happy to join in on that! The kids and I have been gathering things for rubbings and solar prints, along with other nature inspired art to send along. Super neat idea I think we are going to explore for a spring exchange over at Mud Puddles to Meteors.




I finished that leg warmer I have been working on and realized that while it was a great project to practice lacework, they are not as practical as they are fashionable and well, I am not all that fashionable! So, I started a pair of socks with the rest of the yarn and if all goes well I will be frogging that leg warmer to make a match to this sock!


I really like this comb pattern and it is very easy, which makes it fun to knit up too!

 
I think I may have cast on for a size too big but I am going to go with it. Right now knitting is about the process and learning new things, so if I have to start over... so be it!

Hopefully at some point I will have a pair of socks that look something like this:


This pattern and so many other cute socks are in this book.

It has been pretty quiet around here. There are lots of geese flocking overhead and the Steller's Jays with their own unique jay call, the fire crackling in the evening and a bit of my sad piano play on the keyboard - as I try to teach myself to play!

Your turn.
Please share what you have been making and the tunes on your playlist. And don't forget to leave a link to your post if you played along so others can visit your Make and Listen posts!


8 comments:

  1. Beautiful socks! A dear friend made me a colourful rainbow pair, I love them!!
    I posted today : http://lifeonacanadianisland.blogspot.ca/2013/11/homemade-holidays-make-listen.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rubbings are so neat! I remember doing that as a kid! And those socks look super comfy!
    http://summerplayshouse.com/2013/11/14/making-listening-6/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The socks are coming along wonderfully! That's a good reminder for me to see if our library has that book. ;)

    We really enjoyed making leaf prints a while back and just yesterday I found some leaves still pressed and ready to go in our phone book. I think I'll try fabric printing next with the leaves.

    What a great idea with the crystals. Xman would LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun with the nature art! I was thinking about that solar paper and doing some prints with the girls during the week leading up to solstice. When i was in college two of my professors were working on a project where they made their own photo paper and simply made solar prints with vegetation. They were the most incredible prints I've seen yet. I'll try to find a link to their work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how we love solar printing, not much of going on around these parts right now though. Love the idea of a nature art exchange, fun!

    Love those socks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nature art exchange--wonderful!! Solar paper is so much fun.

    But Dawn! Buy more yarn! You don't have to have socks OR legwarmers. You can have both!!

    ReplyDelete