Thursday, January 9, 2014

Make & Listen Along

~ On Thursdays I will post what I have been making and listening to as creations grow. 
If so inclined post, on your blog or flickr, about what you have been making (on your own or with little hands by your side) and listening to while you create. It can be new music, flash backs, a song or a whole album... whatever you like. You can be stitching with needle & thread, yarn, paper crafting, painting, cooking... and beyond. Share what you are making and the tunes that are fueling your creativity. Then come back to my Thursday Make & Listen Along post and leave a link in the comments so we can be inspired right along with you! ~


A few weeks back Alex posted about some fabric coasters she made as a gift. I thought they were so great, and I was in need of a thank you gift. They turned out to be the perfect thing! 






I had just enough of this super cute bunny fabric to make the gift and some extra for us (because ours were in terrible shape). I decided to only do one additional row of quilting stitches beyond the top stitching row because I did not want to take away from the pattern on the fabric. 

I can see many more sets of coasters in the future! 

(And really - I think I will make some more for us too. While this fabric is super adorable I think I would prefer something a bit different for our coffee table, now that I have lived with these for a week!)

We also made some shadowboxes this week, which have been featured over at Mud Puddles to Meteors. I wrote up a little how-to project post over there. Shadowboxes once intimidated me, but for no good reason - they are so super easy!

My little nature collector made this box:


We also decided to make a shadowbox of our favorite animal track casts from New Mexico: 



I am thinking a wall of shadowboxes would look great in our new California home. We have a collection of nature boxes from Spain, California, Louisiana, New York, and of course Nova Scotia, that all would look wonderful in their very own labeled shadowbox. Yes, I think so!

Pentatonix are still playing, along with a little Civil Wars and The Lumineers. Good stuff!

Your turn.
Please share what you have been making and the tunes on your playlist. And don't forget to leave a link to your post if you played along so others can visit your Make and Listen posts. 

I have been trying to get around to visit your posts each week (sometimes it takes me a few days) and they are wonderful! Thanks, to all of you who are joining in and linking up!

7 comments:

  1. Look at all those coasters! And I love the shadow boxes and the post at mudpuddles to meteors. Kudos to your girl--hers is great!

    I played catch-up in today's post: http://amyhoodarts.com/2014/01/09/making-listening12014/

    I'm going to check out those two bands up there that I'm unfamiliar with, because I need new music!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how your coasters turned out! What a pretty fabric. I know what you mean about making more, I need some for our home too! They are fun and quick to make. I do like how you left out the extra quilting so the design shows better.
    The shadow boxes are perfect too, what a great way to showcase the nature collections you have.
    Great week! I will post mine soon, I need to take photos of my making still..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those shadow boxes. And I now a special love for fabric coasters thanks to KC, but I think making some of my own will be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, this is ridiculous! I keep seeing all of these lovely sewing projects you have on the go and keep saying I must sew and have yet to bring out my machine! Keep the inspiration coming though - I love it!

    I love the coasters as well. Great idea from Alex. :) And your lovely lady did an amazing job with her shadow box - like super awesome, dude! Haha! :)

    I also love the ones you created for the animal track castings. These are all going to look wonderful in your new Cali home!

    I am joining along but being a little selfish and posting to my art blog instead of my family one this time; :)

    http://ofartandotherthings.com/2014/01/crows-little-girls-and-fairy-tales/

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the bunnt fabric. But then I'm biased by a little bunny obsession just now...
    We've had birthday making (5 today!!) and not much listening this week!

    http://stitchandpurl.wordpress.com/2014/01/09/making-listening-13/

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice! I love those tracks in the shadow box- how fun!
    joining along this week: http://sweetpotatoclaire.blogspot.com/2014/01/making-and-doing.html

    mostly making in the kitchen, but a bit of knitting as well~
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. love those bunny coasters!!! And what a fantastic idea for the nature boxes! Beautiful displays! I wish I was playing along this week, because I did get some "making" done but never got around to blogging about it. Maybe next week!

    ReplyDelete